needing tension help?

Have a question or want to show off your project? Post it! No Registration Necessary.  Now with pictures!

Threaded View
Both of my Berninas have become very strange. They will stitch a fine  
straight stitch BUT when I drop the feeddogs to free-motion quilt, the  
bobbin thread sort of just lays loose with the upper thread quietly looping  
around it. I have cleaned and changed everything except the key to the front  
door.  Any suggestions welcome. Polly  


Re: needing tension help?
Talking to myself here but, furthermore, it seems as if dropping the feed  
dogs is somehow affecting the stitch quality. Can that be?



Both of my Berninas have become very strange. They will stitch a fine
straight stitch BUT when I drop the feeddogs to free-motion quilt, the
bobbin thread sort of just lays loose with the upper thread quietly looping
around it. I have cleaned and changed everything except the key to the front
door.  Any suggestions welcome. Polly  


Re: needing tension help?
Quoted text here. Click to load it

Polly.  When you raise the feed dogs do they immediately go back to  
stitching?  I can't think why that would be, but I'm willing to accept  
that it might happen.  If so, will it sew on paper if you drop the feed
dogs?

The only other explanations I can come up with offhand is a mismatch between
needle and thread sizes comes off as "tension problems".  I know you're too
much of a pro to have done this, but I'll ask anyhow... did you thread with thepresser foot up, and sew with it down?

re: changing the front door key... my husband's family moved to Trinidad
in the very early 1960s and rented a house.  My mother in law called  
the locksmith to change the locks.  He showed up, worked for awhile, and
handed her back the same two keys.  When questioned he told her he'd moved
the front door lock to the back door, and vice versa...  turns out there were
only about 4 lock patterns on the island at the time, and she already had  
two of them...

Kay


Re: needing tension help?
Thank you, Kay. Please stay with me and think with me. I've tried threading  
foot up and foot down. No difference.  We've taken the left side off and  
cleaned and oiled.  I've tried spools vertical, horizontal, aurifil and  
plain old C & C.  Swapped bobbin cases, tightened and loosened both. Changed  
needles. Many times.  Even flossed with a hundred dollar bill. ( it was the  
only clean one here.)  Any other ideas?  Polly



wrote:
Quoted text here. Click to load it

Polly.  When you raise the feed dogs do they immediately go back to
stitching?  I can't think why that would be, but I'm willing to accept
that it might happen.  If so, will it sew on paper if you drop the feed
dogs?

The only other explanations I can come up with offhand is a mismatch between
needle and thread sizes comes off as "tension problems".  I know you're too
much of a pro to have done this, but I'll ask anyhow... did you thread with  
thepresser foot up, and sew with it down?

re: changing the front door key... my husband's family moved to Trinidad
in the very early 1960s and rented a house.  My mother in law called
the locksmith to change the locks.  He showed up, worked for awhile, and
handed her back the same two keys.  When questioned he told her he'd moved
the front door lock to the back door, and vice versa...  turns out there  
were
only about 4 lock patterns on the island at the time, and she already had
two of them...

Kay  


Re: needing tension help?
It's nice to know I have friends who sometimes have a hundred dollar bill  
around!
Barbara in SC


Thank you, Kay. Please stay with me and think with me. I've tried threading
foot up and foot down. No difference.  We've taken the left side off and
cleaned and oiled.  I've tried spools vertical, horizontal, aurifil and
plain old C & C.  Swapped bobbin cases, tightened and loosened both. Changed
needles. Many times.  Even flossed with a hundred dollar bill. ( it was the
only clean one here.)  Any other ideas?  Polly



wrote:
Quoted text here. Click to load it

Polly.  When you raise the feed dogs do they immediately go back to
stitching?  I can't think why that would be, but I'm willing to accept
that it might happen.  If so, will it sew on paper if you drop the feed
dogs?

The only other explanations I can come up with offhand is a mismatch between
needle and thread sizes comes off as "tension problems".  I know you're too
much of a pro to have done this, but I'll ask anyhow... did you thread with
thepresser foot up, and sew with it down?

re: changing the front door key... my husband's family moved to Trinidad
in the very early 1960s and rented a house.  My mother in law called
the locksmith to change the locks.  He showed up, worked for awhile, and
handed her back the same two keys.  When questioned he told her he'd moved
the front door lock to the back door, and vice versa...  turns out there
were
only about 4 lock patterns on the island at the time, and she already had
two of them...

Kay  



Re: needing tension help?
Quoted text here. Click to load it

What did the paper test do?  And what foot/feet are you using?

Is this a true statement?  There's nothing that fixes the problem EXCEPT
raising the feed dogs?

The only thing I've got, assuming it sewed fine on paper with feed dogs  
up or down, but not on fabric, is the notion that you may need to stabilize
or starch the daylights out of your fabric for this project.

I'd been hoping it was a case of something like this:  
http://www.gwsms.com/didyouknow.htm with the thread too thick to
properly enter the long groove.  Is this your usual brand of needle?  
Usual type and point style?  

Or could the fabric be *so* tightly woven the thread is getting jammed  
anyhow, but by the fabric, not the needle?

You've got me scratching my head...

Kay




Re: needing tension help?
I'm having to use a very weird bunch of settings to just plain straight  
stitch with feed dogs engaged. NOTHING works with feed dogs dropped. Must be  
something but I am baffled. Polly


wrote:
Quoted text here. Click to load it

What did the paper test do?  And what foot/feet are you using?

Is this a true statement?  There's nothing that fixes the problem EXCEPT
raising the feed dogs?

The only thing I've got, assuming it sewed fine on paper with feed dogs
up or down, but not on fabric, is the notion that you may need to stabilize
or starch the daylights out of your fabric for this project.

I'd been hoping it was a case of something like this:
http://www.gwsms.com/didyouknow.htm with the thread too thick to
properly enter the long groove.  Is this your usual brand of needle?
Usual type and point style?

Or could the fabric be *so* tightly woven the thread is getting jammed
anyhow, but by the fabric, not the needle?

You've got me scratching my head...

Kay



Re: needing tension help? PAGING RON!!!
Ok, that says to me that either I'm way, way past the end of my knowledge on
this one, or the culprit is likely to be needle and thread size compatibility.
Are you trying to use thick thread on a small size needle?

And at this point, I think the choices are hope Ron shows up to teach us both
more, or it's time to head to the dealer.  What I don't get are both machines
doing the same thing at the same time.  Which again says needle/thread/fabric.
Sorry I'm not doing any better on this one.

Kay

Quoted text here. Click to load it

Re: needing tension help? PAGING RON!!!
Nothing new or unusual ... same nice quilters cotton fabric, same batting,  
same needles, same thread. We don't believe in the moon stage or goblins, do  
we?  And it looks like they got Ron too. Thank you Kay.


Ok, that says to me that either I'm way, way past the end of my knowledge on
this one, or the culprit is likely to be needle and thread size  
compatibility.
Are you trying to use thick thread on a small size needle?

And at this point, I think the choices are hope Ron shows up to teach us  
both
more, or it's time to head to the dealer.  What I don't get are both  
machines
doing the same thing at the same time.  Which again says  
needle/thread/fabric.
Sorry I'm not doing any better on this one.

Kay

wrote:
Quoted text here. Click to load it


Re: needing tension help? PAGING RON!!!
Is it a plain cotton, or a printed white on white?  I've had some WOWs  
that just wouldn't be sewn. The needle couldn't make a hole big enough  
to drag the thread through the fabric, so it kept skipping stitches.
Liz

On 5/6/2014 11:45 PM, Polly Esther wrote:
Quoted text here. Click to load it

Re: needing tension help? PAGING RON!!!
I tried everything. 3 times. Giving up; sending the 550QE to the Bernina  
guy. The 440 is behaving nicely with some serious cleaning of the black  
thing behind where the bobbin case is. The happy? We set up the old 155.  
She is such a sweetheart.  I'd forgotten how easy-going she is.  Or - I  
hadn't realized how contrary the 550 had become. To be fair, I sew almost  
every day and all 3 really have some miles on them. Thank you for helping me  
hit it with our best shot. Polly

"Kay Lancaster"  wrote .>
Ok, that says to me that either I'm way, way past the end of my knowledge on
this one, or the culprit is likely to be needle and thread size  
compatibility.
Are you trying to use thick thread on a small size needle?

And at this point, I think the choices are hope Ron shows up to teach us  
both
more, or it's time to head to the dealer.  What I don't get are both  
machines
doing the same thing at the same time.  Which again says  
needle/thread/fabric.
Sorry I'm not doing any better on this one.

Kay


Re: needing tension help?
On Mon, 5 May 2014 21:22:56 -0500 in alt.sewing, "Polly Esther"
Quoted text here. Click to load it

Make sure you are not trying to stitch with the foot up.


Site Timeline