OT - Back home again ! (long, possibly boring medical details)

Hello dear RCTQ folks,
I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis at just before my 20th birthday
in 1992. So I've lived with it for about 17 years now. In the
beginning, I had a permanent ulcer and my colon looked like hamburger
meat (I have photos). The flare-ups of my condition went down to 3 a
year, then twice a year, then annually, then once every couple of
years.... I think my last flare-up was about 5 or 6 years ago. I took
part in a dietary study of ulcerative colitis patients at Ninewells
Hospital in 2003-2004 and that really helped to isolate which foods I
should not eat, which in turn improved my condition. I cannot thank the
staff at Ninewells enough because I see a gastro-intestinal specialist
there once a year to assess my condition, and with the help of the NHS I
can afford to take the medication, daily, which I need. When I moved to
the UK 15 years ago, that medication cost 10 times as much in the US
(after converting dollars to pounds and so on). So I not only was able
to receive the best medication for my condition, I was able to be
monitored and ultimately, vastly improved. My condition was so improved
by 2002 that a biopsy was ordered, to make sure I had actually been
correctly diagnosed with ulcerative colitis.
Fast forward to 2010. Apparently during pregnancy, there are so many
hormones floating around in the pregnant woman's system that conditions
such as ulcerative colitis improve! Who knew? However, after the baby
is born and the body goes through a crash course in normalising hormone
levels back to pre-pregnancy levels, the ulcerative colitis can
flare-up. I didn't know this, no one explained it to me. Two weeks
ago, I picked up the Noro virus in the hospital while we were there with
Tristan for his 6-week check-up; we hadn't been anywhere else that was a
public place and even though I washed my hands before we left the
hospital..... well, I had sickness and diarrhea within 36 hours, and my
body worked for 2 days to clear itself of the perceived "poison".
Afterwards, I was left with all the symptoms of an ulcer - lots of blood
loss and an inability to be too far from the loo for very long. After
this had gone on for 10 days it occured to me that it might not be
gastroenteritis, it might be an ulcer. So I went along to the GP for an
appointment, which was cancelled (long story) and by the time I was seen
it had been 2 weeks since I had contracted the Noro virus. The GP
wasn't used to seeing an ulcerative colitis patient, and couldn't pick
apart if it was 1) a flare-up, 2) a reaction to the baby being born and
the colon just needing to calm down again or 3) a reaction to the
effects of the Noro virus. So she called Ninewells and they insisted I
be admitted to the Gastro-enterology ward. And that ward said, "No
babies- the risk of picking up MRSA is too great".
Therefore, I fed Tristan on Thursday before he left, and then I was
given steroids to calm the colon down. I had another big dose of
steroids in the morning, but by then, I had had blood tests, an ECG,
x-rays of the colon, etc and the consultants had come to the conclusion
that the colon looked fine, I didn't fit the profile of a person having
a flare-up, and I could be discharged. Also, they changed their mind
and said it would be fine to breastfeed while on steroids (and I'd only
had 2 doses anyway), and that I wouldn't have to taper off of them
either, because it hadn't been a long course of the drug. That was why
Tristan blissfully breastfed during the ward round when 3 consultants
and 2 nurses trooped in; he was wearing his "Superbaby" blue velour
suit, which went down well with the staff, who were also impressed with
his size (!)
So we're home now, trying to catch up on sleep and Tristan is feeding
like we've starved him for about 3 weeks. He and I didn't feel well
when he was 6 weeks old and supposed to be having a growth spurt, so I
suspect he's having it now, though he's always been a "hungry baby" and
seems to eat continuously. Mark's mum is flying up to Scotland today
and we are going to have her help until Thursday I believe. We may even
get the house cleaned. Then we will go down to visit Mark's parents,
and his brother and sister (along with her 2 small boys and husband)
will all be there for the Easter weekend. That will be exciting,
because only Mark's sister and Mum have met Tristan so far.
Thank you so much for all your thoughts and good wishes. I hope that I
can really recover now from the pregnancy and birth experience. It is
not nice to be in low-level pain of some kind for 2 months, as I'm sure
that many of you on here will agree with.
Love, Jo in Scotland
P.S. Tristan has started to say "ello" occasionally when we say "Hello"
to him. Can an 8-week old really speak or are we just hearing what we
want to hear?
Reply to
Jo Gibson
Great to hear that you are home again and feeling better! Please take care of yourself and Mark and Tristan. I'll be in touch.
Bath, England
Reply to
Jo, although you've certainly had a rough time of it and have my sympathies for that, I'm doing a happy dance that you're home with Mark and Tristan and feeling so much better! We're glad you're back!
Reply to
Louise in Iowa
I am so glad you are home and doing better Jo. I can't even imagine how happy your guys are! Woohoo. My dh has UC and has for 35+ years. It has gotten better for him with the better meds and diet control but still is not good. Any tummy bug can set UC off. Stress sets UC off. He came home from the hospital with a flare up 3 weeks ago too. For folks that don't know there really is more too. UC is an auto immune disease and there can be a lot of joint pain and inflammation. There are a lot of steroids that are very unpleasant. It is not easy to deal with in many ways. Besides feeling rotten and lots of meds travel and eating are often problematic. Folks don't generally talk about UC or Crohns but a lot of people deal with them. It isn't easy. I hope they figure it all out and come up with a real cure in our lifetime. Hugs, taria
Reply to
Jo: Jo; While I don't read anyone's medical details (Thanks for the warning ... I really appreciated that,) I skimmed this briefly to see you are doing okay again. Good to hear! I've kept you and family in prayers, and wish you all the best of health. Can an 8 wk old infant speak? Yes, certainly! ;) (Who am I to argue with a new, just out of hospital mom?) Pat in Virginia
Reply to
Pat in Virginia
Glad to see you back home again! I'll bet your "boys" are happy, too! Take good care of yourself! - We're all thinking of you and sending positive vibes your way! ME-Judy
Reply to
So happy to see your post and know you are home again and feeling better. I'm sure both of your boys are even happier! Donna
Reply to
We are all just so happy to have you back home and on the mend. What a brave daddy Mark is. My own DH would have just stood in the front doorway and yelled 'Help' until someone can to his aid. Polly
Reply to
Polly Esther
awww, good to hear he is not bothered other than the quantity. that will build up quicker than you'd think as long as he keeps trying and from the sound of it he'll be right in there giving it his best. soon he'll be full up properly. i used to have a glass of beer in the afternoon to relax me and it makes good milk i'm told, all those B Vitamins in the beer, if you can cope with it, of course.
its good Grandma is there for all of you. i'm sure wee Tristan is having fun teaching yet another adult how to run his world properly too. i like the elephant over the parrot too. he remembers how things ought to done for the wee lad. those parrots can be a pita, its always the same thing over and over again... polly want a cracker. i mean who the heck wants crackers when there is all that lovely milk going for a song. i'm very happy you're all managing so very well. hugz all around, jeanne
"Jo Gibson" wrote ... Nothing disrupts Tristan's breastfeeding. The whole house could fall down and he wouldn't notice. The trouble is, I've been dehydrated, so I'm not making as much as he would like. This has not pleased HRH Tristan. Master Tristan is making his likes & dislikes known just now to Mark, as the baby monitor is letting me know.
Grandma has arrived and shown him the parrot and the elephant on his "baby gym" and Tristan has decided he prefers the elephant, and Grandma is okay as well. -- Jo in Scotland
Reply to
Glad to hear you've got things sorted and are on the mend.
I bought a copy of "Medication and Mother's Milk" by Thomas Hale, it's probably the most comprehensive reference to possible affects of medication on the breastfed baby, so if you ever want me to look anything up, give me a shout!
Seems like one of the advantages of socialised medicine is costs aren't just allocated to the person who's ill, I had such a bad case of mastitis when DS was a baby that I needed IV antibiotics, so they found somewhere we could both be, in an insurance based system, a breastfed baby would not be a reason to get a private room! Infection control is a different issue, but then they let him visit you, so I'm not sure that makes sense. When I had an allergic reaction back in October and because it affected my BP, they put me on a cardiac ward and the poor nurses were rather bemused at me asking them to put my milk in the fridge!
Cheers Anne
Reply to
Anne Rogers
Hi Jo, so very pleased you are back home.
Your milk supply will return - Tristan will make sure it does. Like J*, I used to have a stubbie of light beer a day when breastfeeding my daughters, lots and lots of milk and very contented babies. Hugs for you all.
Reply to
I'm so glad things have gotten sorted out and that you're reunited with your family back home, Jo. I hope this is the last little set back and things move on to great health and happiness. Best wishes to you ALL! Kathyl
Reply to
Kate, I have a brother that mom swore screamed because while she fed him solids at too an early age she couldn't shovel food in him fast enough. He is still a HUGE eater. He really at 60 is just gaining a few pounds more than he should carry. Boy is he a big feeder though. I can't believe your James is 6'2. Seems like he was just a tyke yesterday! Taria
Reply to
I can concur with that! Best of luck for a full and speedy recovery and a restful holiday with the family.
I swear James said NO at that age! ;) He was a hungry baby and on solids at 12 weeks. Very frowned on, but... Well, as he's now about six foot two and very bright, I don't think it did him any long-term harm!
Reply to
Well we heard a definite "ello" at 6 weeks, we were eating dinner with family, so it wasn't just us that heard it, iirc he was lieing on a blanket in a corner rather than in anyones arms so of course we all turned round, so it seemed to work!
That talker is called Nathanael, who now at age 6 is convinced he's heard baby sis say his name. She's 10mths tomorrow, doesn't time fly!
Reply to
Anne Rogers

Site Timeline Threads

  • Yup, that name got my attention, too, when a friend asked me how to pronounce...
  • next in


InspirePoint website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.