It was just sewing fine. Finished one row. Cut threads then started on another
row. Bobbin thread would not catch with needle thread. I took out the bobbin
and re inserted and re-threaded needle front to back. Still not catching.
Ideas? Singer model 457.
So sad! Seriously, sad.
I just ran THREE LAYERS of bonded upholstery vinyl through a Singer
500A (a back-up, I am not about to risk one of the 401As), and
encountered no difficulty at all. I am making covers for my patio
furniture out of this:
It was not quite wide enough for my table, so I cut a long 10"
strip, used a leather needle, mounted one of my walking feet, and
sewed a few sample seams to see what worked best (and what would
feed), and sewed wrong-sides-together with a long straight stitch,
then wide zig-zag from the right side through three layers to finish
the seam. No problem at all. Tell me one of today's plastic
miracles could do that. ;-D
Long ago I sewed 6 layers of denim on an old domestic machine ok. When it came to the overlap with 12 layers it really struggled but got the job done, with assistance on the handwheel, taking it very slow.
I handle multiple layers of denim with the assistance of a
Before I discovered that handy dandy tool, I used a few folded
layers of the self-same denim, held under the presser foot behind
the needle, as I approached in-seams/side-seams in a hem.
This reminds me of the terry-cloth robe I made for my father years
ago. I could not find his favorite color (kind of a
bronzy-rusty-orange) in terry yardage, so I purchased several
over-sized terry/velour towels. All the seams were felled, so by
the time I crossed seams, it was at least 12 layers of really thick
terry. Broke several needles on that project, but the Singer 401A
came through with flying colors. Dad loved the robe, he wore it
until it was literally threadbare.