I had had a piece of dogwood laying around the shop for about five years.
Its not a big piece, but then dogwood does not get all that big. It was ab
out 5 1/2-6" in diameter and about 32" long, and had a crack running along
it, lengthwise, that reached almost to the center.
Knowing that turning anything out of this (down log) would be "interesting"
at best, I decided to fill the crack with epoxy and bright copper flakes.
The result was a dark mahogany colored streak with copper flecks in it.
I divided the log into two 5 1/2 x 16 blanks and turned two vases. The fir
st vase was 4 1/2 x 12. The second was 4 1/2 x 14.
As I said, its been awhile since I have been at the lathe, for anything of
consequence, and it showed. Catches redefined the shape of both vases, but
the second one was more like what I had in mind when I started.
I might add, turning end grain on very dry dogwood is a "tad" different tha
n turning side grain on wet wood, of any kind. ;-)
Two lessons learned:
1) I need to move the lathe (all 560lb of it) to give room for the longer b
oring bar to be used.
2) Practice, practice, practice. Put another way, "If you do not use it, y
ou lose it."
- posted 3 years ago