OK. I've had a bit of a play with this today. It's been quite
I used this method:
Instead of the strip piecing, I used squares. I cut the batting 2"
smaller (so back and front = 6"; batt = 4")
Sandwiched everything together and quilted it (good way to practice
MQ, at which I am perfectly useless)
Squared everything up and sewed the seams. Pressed them open and
turned them in. Then I used a blind hem stitch to sew the blocks
together; trimmed the seam allowance between the blocks and then put
the rows together in the same way. Then I quilted the 'sashings' and
turned the sides in as bindings. mitring the corners as I got to them.
Results: It works rather nicely. As the batt is snugged up against
the seam, there is little or no loss of pudge at that point. It
doesn't crease or fold along it. It certainly doesn't after quilting
Of course the backing is the same as the sashing on the front, so this
has to be taken into consideration in the design.
What I would do differently:
= On a proper project I would take a lot more time squaring and
drawing out seam lines and making sure everything lined up.
= I would certainly trim off the edges and do a proper binding. Yukky-
= I would hand-sew the sashing to the front unless I wanted a stitch
in the ditch effect. This would also eliminate the tell-tale double
line of stitching on the back. There would still be plenty of
seamlines, but with a little careful quilting they should melt into
the surrounds like they do on the-old-way.
= I would make sure I drew lines on the fronts so that the quilting
didn't get into the seam area.
It does waste a fair amount of fabric, but I think a little more
practice could cut that down considerably. I don't think it would be
necessary to make the top 2" bigger than trimmed size, as it doesn't
usually lose that much in the quilting. I might cut the batt a little
larger to make the squaring a little easier.
Conclusion: I could certainly see myself using this technique on a
hand-quilted project. It could have some advantages in other ways.
If a block goes awry when machine quilting, it could be replaced
without ruining the whole quilt or having to frogstitch
comprehensively. Yes, this method has promise.