The house is smelling absolutely lovely as I just made a double batch of this banana bread.
225g/8oz self-raising flour
150g/5oz caster sugar
450g/1lb Fairtrade bananas (the softer the better), peeled and mashed
=BD tsp salt
175g/6oz mixed dried fruit
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
2. Mix all the of the ingredients except the dried fruit together. You
can do this in a food processor or by hand in a mixing bowl.
3. When the ingredients are all thoroughly combined, fold in the dried
4. Spoon the batter mixture into a 1kg/2lb non-stick loaf tin, spread
it out evenly and bake it for one and a half hours. (NB. Oven
temperatures vary so the banana bread may not need the full one and a
half hours to cook through. Check the progress of the banana bread
regularly to make sure it is not burning. If the top of the loaf is
browning too quickly, but a skewer inserted into the centre does not
come out clean, cover the loaf with aluminium foil and continue
cooking until a skewer pushed into the centre of the loaf comes out
5. When the banana bread has risen, golden-brown on top and cooked
through, remove it from the oven and set aside to cool on a wire rack.
Slice before serving.
- posted 10 years ago