Everyone could use a new favorite birthday cake recipe and this can be
3/4 cup cocoa
4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
2 cups boiling water
1 cup unsalted butter, at room temp
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups flour
2 scant teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
3/4 cup heavy cream
1 cup good quality sour cherry jam
[b:9596202aa0]Directions : [/b:9596202aa0]
1. Preheat oven to 350° F. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt
together and set aside.
2. Place the cocoa and 4 ounces of bittersweet chocolate in a bowl
and pour in the boiling water. Stir until all the chocolate is melted.
3. Cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy, about 3 to 5
minutes. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, and the vanilla extract.
4. Alternate mixing in the dry ingredients and the melted chocolate
mixture. Do not over mix.
5. Pour batter into two 9-inch cake pans and bake for about 20 to
6. To make the frosting, pour the cream into a saucepan over a
medium heat and stir in the 8 ounces of chocolate. Whisk until smooth
7. Place the jam in a saucepan over a medium heat and stir until it
loosens enough to pour it over the cake.
8. When the cakes are done and cooled invert one on to a plate and
spread the cherry jam over it. I find it better to spread the jam over
the ?bottom? of the cake since it is always flat. place the other cake
layer on top and pour the frosting over the whole thing. Decorate with
whipped cream and cherries for an extra happy-looking cake.
View the attachments for this post at:
- posted 6 years ago