- posted 2 years ago
Today's sewing was a marathon job. I finally decided I had to repair my market umbrellas. After a very wet weekend where my umbrellas were up all weekend the small holes and cracks that have appeared over the years, in a circular pattern from being rubbed when folded and unfolded were letting in too many drips to be put up with any longer. I ordered, about 6 years ago, some Sunbrella fabric intending to make a new cover for my oldest umbrella 1.5m x2m but I never got around to it so I decided to use the Sunbrella to patch the central panel of the 2 biggest umbrellas which I use the most.3m x 2.8 m Taking apart was quite easy ; the top knob unscrews the corner spines are on spring loaded ends and the rest are not. I marked one corner with a line of permanent marker on the metal and the white cup that's on the umbrella to make sure I didn't ended up spending an age putting it back on. Well I spent an age putting it back on and about an hour because the new fabric made it tighter!!!!! Plus about an hour and a half stitching the Sunbrella fabric over the centre panel. I decided not to remove the old panel as my fabric was a bit narrow 14 cms short on width compared to the existing central panel in the umbrella. I haven't got a picture of the finished umbrella I will try and take one when I am on the market tomorrow. The Stitching is uneven as it was hard to stitch, I had to hold all the umbrella weight and pull it through at the same time, but It's done and I should be drier now. I will tackle the 2nd one later in the week, I think I need a lie down now.