- posted 14 years ago
Just thought I'd update you on the posh frock progress, as you were all so kind with your hints and tips as I was starting the project.
I machine washed all the fabric together on a cold delicates wash and it came out fine - the cupro lost a little bit of its smooth hand but nothing significant.
I made the sheer over-blouse, using my standard blouse pattern without the bust darts, went for a mandarin collar and bound the slits for the cuff opening rather than using a placket. After fiddling around a bit, I constructed it using a modified 3 thread rolled hem on my serger as recommended by Kate & Beverly. It worked really well leaving me with a very narow seam. As my shear was quite a crisp bouncy man made almost organza like material, I did not use any interfacing in its construction. The cuffs and collar I dealt with using the sewing machine, and careful trimming of seams and threads so the blouse looked as good as possible given it is very see through. The seam finish was a little bit itchy on a test wearing - more due to the fabric than anything else, so I have washed the blouse in the hopes that will have softened it up!
I have made a test top from the Size 16 New Look 6428 pattern, and DH helped me check the fit and mark the alterations this evening. The good news is the pattern went together well, and I've learnt how everything works, but the bad news is that it doesn't fit that well! Checking the pattern, its meant to have 3.5" ease, I've got about 4" and it does look big, and its sticking out under the arms. With my best bra on (i.e. the one I'm planning to wear on the night), the bust point is about 1" low. Also the waist is 1" high. Needless to say because the top is constructed in two halves, it doesn't actually have a lengthen/shorten line on the pattern! I'm going to make Test Top Mark 2 based on the size 14 pattern pieces to deal with the excess ease, plus the alterations DH helped me identify with regards length, position of bust and waist. I've got the pattern, spare tissue paper, pencil & sticky tape waiting on the table for me to redraft the pattern as I type!
I made the skirt from New Look 6428, but added a waistband, and tweaked the top of the pattern to deal with the fact my waist is 2 sizes smaller than my hips. I also cut each pattern piece from hem to mid thigh, and spead it by 2" at the bottom to give the skirt some extra flare. The skist is made minus heam, and is now hanging for a few days just in case - it shouldn't stretch as it is cut on grain though. It's way too long - draping on the floor despite the fact I didn't think it would be quite that long! I shall have to stand on a stool on the coffee table when I get DH to mark the hem for me! The cupro is lovely heavy weight stuff and not fraying too much - it is misbehaving a little in that it is quite slippery.
I've got 2 weeks and 2 days left to draft & make Test Top #2, alter it if necessary, and then make THE REAL THING! Oh, and I probably ought to make a couple of matching fabric flowers / scrunchies for my hair and maybe a matching purse - but only if I get time!